International Day of Peace: Shaping Peace Together
Celebrate International Day of Peace: Shaping Peace Together
on September 21, 2020! Create a pinwheel to imagine whirled peace, then advocate for peace by sharing compassion, kindness, hope and creativity with your community. Established in 1981 by a unanimous United Nations resolution, Peace Day
provides a globally shared date for all humanity to commit to Peace above all differences and to contribute to building a Culture of Peace.
• Sheet of Copy Paper
• Construction Paper
• Pipe Cleaner
• Drawing Utensil
1. Cut a sheet of copy paper into a square. Use drawing utensils to color the paper with your interpretation, ideas and inspirations on peace.
2. Fold the square sheet of paper vertically then horizontally to find the center of the paper.
3. Cut a quarter-sized circle out of construction paper. Use the pipe cleaner to puncture a hole in the center of the circle construction paper. Push the circle to the top of the pipe cleaner then secure in place by twisting the top end of the pipe cleaner.
4. Punch the pipe cleaner with the circle construction paper through the centerfold of the square sheet of paper. Pull the pipe cleaner until the circle construction paper is resting on the top of the square sheet of paper.
5. Cut the corners of the square sheet of paper on a diagonal line towards the construction paper circle. Leave half an inch of space between the pipe cleaner and the diagonal cut.
6. Fold every other corner of the square sheet of paper to the center of the paper. Glue the corner underneath the circle construction paper.
7. Cut a half an inch piece of straw. Bead the cut piece of straw on the pipe cleaner on the backside of the pinwheel.
8. Cut a slit into the remaining piece of straw, leaving half an inch at the top of the straw. Insert the pipe cleaner into the cut slit at the top of the straw. Knot the end of the pipe cleaner for the pinwheel to stay in place.
9. Spin your completed pinwheel to celebrate International Day of Peace!